If you are anything like me, you are still looking for a last minute hostess gift or one more appetizer or small plate for the table.
As much as I wish I could bring a bottle of wine or fancy olive oil, always my go to hostess gifts, traveling is prohibiting that.
These spiced nuts are not only the perfect gift or small plate, but make the perfect travel snack if your flight ends up delayed. I may have already packed a jar for myself.
Honestly, I’m not a big spiced nut person, I could take or leave sweets. One of the local cafes had samplers of there’s out last week and I couldn’t help but try them. I was happily surprised when I actually enjoyed them. I ended up being a sucker and bought a bag witht the intent of replicating them at home for holiday gifts.
3/4 C sugar
1 T salt
1 T chile powder
2 t cinnamon
2 t cayenne pepper
1 large egg white
4 cup of your favorite raw nuts (I used almonds, cashews, pecans, and Brazil nuts)
1. Preheat oven to 300 F. Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper. (Skip your reusable silicon mat, I used mine and it was awful to clean up!)
2. In a small bowl whisk sugar, salt, and spices.
3. In a large bowl, beat the egg white until fluffy. You can do this by hand.
4. Add the sugar mix and nut mix into the large bowl and toss well.
5. Spread out on prepared baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes, stirring once.
6. Let the nuts cool completely, and then break into pieces and enjoy.